Pages

Friday, July 3, 2020

The Mount Washington Resort


My wife and I are on the same page when it concerns the giving of birthday presents. We would appreciate more an experience as opposed to a physical gift.

I had heard other people talk about the beauty of The Mount Washington Resort. So I looked into it; completed in 1902, so it had the vintage vibe we both like, is situated deep in the woods of New Hampshire just northeast of the White Mountains, and the price was reasonable. Trifecta!

I called the number and made the reservation. The gentleman asked me what the occasion the stay was for so I told him it was for my wife's birthday.

After having lunch in Ashland, NH, I asked my wife, "Isn't a classic movie star buried around here?"
She looked it up and discovered Claude Rains is buried in Moultonborough, about 30 minutes away...in the direction of the resort. Off we go!

We find Red Hill Cemetery and locate his headstone (his name is difficult to read, it being black on black).






Claude Rains' home until his death.

The resort was beautifully lit up at night.


We have arrive and check-in, find our room, and open the door. Hmmm, this looks nothing the picture of the room I booked. My wife opens a door which we discover is the bathroom. We stand there with our bags trying to figure out what to do next. She looks in the bathroom and sees another door. I thought it was a closet, but she opens it and...



...this is our room! I said, wait, don't unpack, this is obviously a mistake. A room this size rents out for $700 a night. I go downstairs to the Front Desk and speak to the woman who checked us in. I explain the size of the room and how much I was quoted. She looked at her monitor and said, "You are here for your wife's birthday, right?" Correct, I reply. She looks at me and says, "We upgraded you as a gift." Pick.up.jaw.from.floor. I thanked her several times and returned to the room. My wife asked me what happened. I told her to unpack as they upgraded us to this room for her birthday.





The Great Hall was bustling with people. There was sampling of wine and dessert being offered.

In 1944, both the World Bank and the International Money Fund were created in this room.





We woke up early for a morning swim and were greeted with these mountain views.

The view from the back of the resort.


This is video is from the bridge crossing the river in the back of the resort.



The breakfast buffet was outstanding! I indulged in an omelet and the sausages were infused with blueberries. 



The mountain views from our table. The view I have at home when I eat breakfast is a wall. 


One of the amenities the resort offered was afternoon tea. I had never experience this, so I made a reservation for two. We had talked about attending afternoon tea in Boston, but never got around to it.


We sampled a charcuterie board from local vendors.


Goodbye!



No comments:

Post a Comment