Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

2017 Turner Classic Movie Film Festival, Part I: Exploring LA







The first stop after we land is In-N-Out Burger. Fortunately there is a location just outside of LAX. I alway order number #1. My order is top and my wife's is on the bottom as she likes the sauce on her fries. 




We met friends Robby and Zinnia Cress for dinner. Robby suggested Bob's Big Boy in Burbank. Midway through the meal, he tells me they shot a part of Heat here! It's the scenes where Don Breedan shows up to work as part of his parole and when Neil recruits him to drive the getaway car. 


The world famous record store, Amoeba Records. I went in, "just to look around", and walked out with 4 Blu-rays. 



The Griffith Observatory is the sight of many movies and tv shows. Oh, and you can learn about about the cosmos, if you are into that thing.




The Observatory also has amazing views of the city. 



Shhh! Don't tell my wife...




Did she or didn't she?


Larry Edmunds Bookshop 6644 Hollywood Blvd.

My wife and I both hard core bibliophiles and cinephiles. So whenever we visit Los Angeles, we make it a point to visit Larry Edmunds. She always picks up a several books for research and pleasure. I have purchased a few books myself, mostly about the local history of Los Angeles. One cannot underscore the depth of material within the four walls. Not only do they sell books and vintage posters, they hold readings, screenings, and book signings. The shop has been open for 82 years and has been frequented by scores of actors, producers, and directors.  




Charlie Chaplin's old studio is now the home of Jim Henson's Company.







Kat Von D's Tattoo Parlor


Season seven, episode one of Mad Men was filmed here. Don was, "visiting", California and met Pete here for lunch. 




Drinking Herradura Tequila at the infamous rock and roll bar, The Rainbow Bar and Grill, with cousins, Nick and Rod. 



More alcohol consumption with Nick. This one hooked me on Micheladas so now everytime I eat at a Mexican restaurant I order one. Here we are at Oscar's downing 25 ouncers. 



Galbi King Los Angeles

Nick suggested Galbi King Korean BBQ in Westside Plaza for dinner. I haven't this good Korean BBQ since my San Francisco days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment