Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

2019 SXSW, Part I: Exploring Austin


After leaving Atlanta we roll into Austin, Texas.





The Texas State Capitol 

The infamous tower at the University of Texas.


On August 1, 1966, Charles Whitman killed 14 people and wounded 31 from the 28th floor observation deck. The flat stone in the foreground lists the names of the people in the shooting. 

The LBJ Library and Museum
Since I have visited JFK's Presidential Library, I have now visited consecutive President of United States of America libraries.








Several important items are preserved which took on historical importance because of the assassination of JFK.




The Oval Office during Johnson's administration.


Johnson's Presidential limousine.

Downtown Austin

Texas State Cemetery

Most of the people interred here were in state politics, some Confederate officers, Texas Rangers, and anyone noteworthy from the Lone Star State. 

Remains of one of the Twin Towers


During the credits of, "American Sniper", there is footage of the funeral procession entering The Texas State Cemetery.



A statue of Willie Nelson commemorating his contributions to music and Austin City Lights.

Tease!


When I told a friend I was going to Austin, they told me to avoid and stay away from 6th Street. Ok, thanks for the advise. The first place I went to check out was "Dirty" 6th Street. Originally named Pecan, 6th Street is lined with bars, lounges, eateries, and tattoo parlors. This is where everyone goes to party and get into trouble. Since SXSW was in town, it was packed with thousands of people from the festival every night.


The Jenga Building

Austin Central Library

The Austin Central Library is a product of forward vision and fulfills the desire of its patrons to converge, learn, ponder, create, and interact.

Perhaps, since I have not been in a modern library in a very long time, I am not up to speed on what it can offer. Just quickly looking around I saw, a public 3D printer, a display with hundreds of board games, a kiosk that dispensed laptops (!), an outdoor garden, a Virtual Reality set-up, and a life-sized chess board. I almost asked for a job application!

I made it a point to visit this library because of its inclusion in Time Magazine's  The World's Greatest Places of 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment