Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

2019 SXSW, Part II: The Food


It is well documented Austin, Texas has a very strong food culture. However, until you experience it, it has no meaning.  I don't know why I was so impressed by all the quality food offerings Austin had.  I have the luxury of living near Boston which has many highly-rated restaurants serving cuisine from all around the world.

Pelons Tex-Mex Restaurant

Our first meal in Texas. Bahn Mi tacos for her and Guisada tacos for me. First of many Micheladas throughly enjoyed.

Koriente
In searching for dinner on our first night, my wife found a small Korean joint only 350 meters from our hotel.  We walked there and were surprised the line was out the door. As we waited, we looked at the menu to decide what we wanted to eat. I ordered a bowl of Teriyaki chicken with rice, noodles, carrots, and an egg. She had a bowl of Shiitake Mushrooms, spinach, avocado, and rice. I let her steal my broccoli. Our dishes was tasty and the prices were very inexpensive.

Cenote
Another gem of a restaurant! I walked here for breakfast. There were many tempting choices, but I settled on the Cenote Scramble, eggs, pico de gallo, arugula, pesto, capers, and goat cheese. Again, several flavors going on at the same time combined with the fresh ingredients made a return trip necessary. 


Cooper's BBQ
My first taste of authentic Texas BBQ. I order a sampler plate of sausage, chicken, brisket, and ribs. Pinto beans and pickles round out this feast.



I didn't eat from the food truck, but I found the type of cuisine an interesting combination.

Casa Colombia
When I found an authentic Colombian restaurant, I immediately added it to my list. Beef with fried eggs, sweet plantains, rice and beans, Dios mio! For a someone who is half Colombian, this was a very special meal.

Italic
We both ordered pizzas. She had the Sopressata and had the Sausage (pictured).



Before we left on our trip, I was watching, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". The person was recalling a specific type of taco he ate while in Austin at a restaurant named Suerte.  

I walked there and arrived just as they were opening up for lunch. I sit at the bar and order the Suadero Tacos. Problem, I am told. Yes? That item only on the dinner menu, not the lunch. 

Since I not eaten yet, I order the Grilled Doblado which is chorizo and potatoes stuffed with corn masa, cured egg yolk and pumpkin sesame seed habanero salsa. Still delicious, but slightly disappointed I was not able to try the tacos. 

Undeterred, I vowed to return for dinner...


Mission accomplished! I experience the famous Suadero Tacos. This is one of the few foods I take a longer time to chew to extract, then savor the all the flavor. Really amazing! The secret to all the flavor is the marinade (check out the link above).





Zilker Brewing Company


After leaving Suerte, I stopped in Zilker Brewing to sample some local beer. Clockwise, Parks and Rec, Friends with Benefits, and Lagerstruck. I liked them all!


Cenote

I had to return to Cenote and begged my wife to join me, so she could experience the food as well. This trip I chose the Breakfast Burrito and she had the Kale and Chorizo Scramble with grilled biscuits.


Buenos Aires Cafe East
Another restaurant serving South American cuisine caught my eye was Buenos Aires Cafe East. A glass of Malbec, Angus Beef medallions and a side of mashed potatoes. Reminds me of when I visited Mendoza, Argentina in 2006.


Franklin's BBQ
The line for BBQ at Franklin's at 9:16 in the morning. There about 60 people in line ahead of me. I was a little concerned they would run out of meat before I was able to order. About 10 am, an employee was asking everyone in line how much meat they were planning to order. This was to see at what point in the line the meat wold be sold out. After a certain person, that was no point in waiting in line anymore.

The two ways I could improve this experience the next time is first, arrive at least an hour earlier. I would spend less time waiting and I would eat sooner. Second, I would eat a very small breakfast to hold me over. I skipped breakfast to ensure an empty stomach for all the food I would be eating. However,  I didn't eat until 1 pm and by that time my stomach started to consume itself out of self preservation.



Fast forward nearly four hours later! I finally sit down with my Texas sized lunch. Ribs, brisket, and sausage as the main. Mashed potatoes and pickles as a side and a slice of Pecan Pie for dessert. Needless to say, this was my only meal of the day.

Any food is difficult to describe as you must it experience it for yourself. The only way I can is think of your favorite food. Now think of it as barbecue.


Mezcal Margarita


Old Fashioned
What is trip to any city without visiting a dive bar? One such bar is Nickel City. One of their signature drinks is the Mezcal Margarita which I ordered, then moved on to an Old Fashioned.




No comments:

Post a Comment