Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2020

Off to Atlanta


My wife applied for a media pass to cover movies at SXSW. Her application was accepted so she  booked the hotel and flight.

In the process of planning the trip, she suggested we stopover in Atlanta. She has a online friend who lives there who she has never met. Her and her boyfriend were simply the best hosts and were cool to hang out with.

Perfect! I have always wanted to visit Atlanta. Unfortunately, we were there for only two days and it was brutally cold!

She picked us up from Hatfield International and got us settled into our room. We then ate lunch at Grub Kitchen and Bar. I appreciate this establishment posts the calories for all its food and drinks, but I don't appreciate all the calories in their tasty food. I went right past my daily 2000 calorie max in one meal!

Boozy Minty Chocolate Chip Brownie milkshake with creme de menth.

Wagyu burger (medium) with the fixins'





Erin and Dalvin took us to one of their hangouts, Tiki Tango Hideaway Oasis.






We ate dinner at an Irish pub, Ri Ra. Let me tell you, I thought I was in Southie! This Guinness Beef Stew with a dollop of mashed potatoes was como a avon o fixo.



While in Atlanta one must experience Waffle House. Mutual friend Jessica joined us for breakfast and we also were able to see Jill, another mutual friend who lives in the Atlanta area. She was kind enough to invite us to to her home. I got to meet her daughter and their adorable dog, Sugar. Jill also has an amazing library on the subject of cinema. I am guessing her collection runs 600 books. 



I was walking towards the MLK when I nearly tripped on something on the sidewalk. After I righted myself, I happen to look up and saw this garage. It looked so familiar! I then remembered it was featured on Chasing Classic Cars (season 5, episode 20) and there was a yellow Ferrari involved. 

1992 Porsche 911 Turbo Whaletail

1988 BMW M5 (E28), first generation.

Martin Luther King, Jr National Historical Park
While I did not have a lot of time in Atlanta, the one place I had to visit was the tomb of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The museum was well organized and filled with interesting exhibits. I really didn't want to be disrespectful by taking a 1000 photos. I didn't spend much time here as the entire experience just made me very sad. 


The wagon used to transport his body from the Ebenezer Church to Morehouse College.

Rest in Peace.



Ebenezer Baptist Church
The church where MLK was baptized, attended services, and was ordained a minister.


The home MLK was born in and grew up in.





I wanted to squeeze in a tour of the Delta Flight Museum while in Atlanta. I was in Atlanta for one day on a Wednesday. The one day during the week they are closed is...Wednesday. 






Once I knew I was going to visit Atlanta, I purchased tickets for Dalvin and I to attend a Hawks game. This was the first NBA game outside of Boston I have attended.



The site of Super Bowl LIII. The New England Patriots defeated the Los Angeles Rams, 13-3.




No comments:

Post a Comment